- American Lung Association – Teen tobacco cessation and education resources
- NIAAA – National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
- NIDA – National Institute on Drug Abuse
- SAMHSA – Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- MINT – Excellence in Motivational Interviewing
- MI Resources – Blogs, books, links, and multimedia from MINT
- Above the Influence – Stay Original, Be Yourself
- Just Think Twice – Get the Facts About Drugs
- NIDA for Teens – The Science Behind Drug Use
- Truth Initiative – Inspiring Tobacco-Free Lives
- CCUIH – California Consortium for Urban Indian Health
- CNAY – Center for Native American Youth
- Indian Youth of America – Serving Indian children and families through youth programs and activities
- IRINAH – Intervention Research to Improve Native American Health
- NCAI – National Congress of American Indians
- NCUIH – National Council of Urban Indian Health
- Office of Urban Indian Health Programs – Indian Health Service
- Running Strong for American Indian Youth – Providing Indian youth programs to foster community change
- UNITY, Inc. – United National Indian Tribal Youth
- UIHI – Urban Indian Health Institute
- White Bison, Inc. – Sobriety, recovery, addiction prevention and wellness/Wellbriety learning resources for American Indians/Alaska Natives
- Quietly, Indians Reshape Cities and Reservations – New York Times Article
D’Amico, E. J., & Edelen, M. (2007). Pilot test of Project CHOICE: A voluntary after school intervention for middle school youth. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 21(4), 592–598.
D’Amico, E. J., Green, H. D. J., Miles, J. N. V., Zhou, A. J., Tucker, J. S., & Shih, R. A. (2012). Voluntary after school alcohol and drug programs: If you build it right, they will come. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 22(3), 571–582. PMCID: PMC3526367
D’Amico, E. J., Tucker, J. S., Miles, J. N. V., Zhou, A. J., Shih, R. A., & Green, H. D. J. (2012). Preventing alcohol use with a voluntary after school program for middle school students: Results from a cluster randomized controlled trial of CHOICE. Prevention Science, 13(4), 415-425. PMCID: PMC3353018
D’Amico, E. J., Houck, J. M., Hunter, S. B., Miles, J. N. V., Osilla, K. C., & Ewing, B. A. (2015). Group motivational interviewing for adolescents: Change talk and alcohol and marijuana outcomes. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 83(1), 68-80. PMCID: PMC4324015
D’Amico, E. J., Hunter, S. B., Miles, J. N. V., Ewing, B. A., & Osilla, K. C. (2013). A randomized controlled trial of a group motivational interviewing intervention for adolescents with a first time alcohol or drug offense. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 45(5), 400–408. PMCID: PMC3826597
Houck, J. M., Hunter, S. B., Benson, J. G., Cochrum, L. L., Rowell, L. N., & D’Amico, E. J. (2015). Temporal variation in facilitator and client behavior during group motivational interviewing sessions. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 29(4), 941-949. PMCID: PMC4701607
Osilla, K. C., Ortiz, J. A., Miles, J. N. V., Pedersen, E. R., Houck, J., & D’Amico, E. J. (2015). How group factors affect adolescent change talk and substance use outcomes: Implications for motivational interviewing training. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 62(1), 79-86. PMCID: PMC4300532
Brown, R. A., Dickerson, D. L., & D’Amico, E. J. (2016). Cultural identity among urban American Indian/Alaska Native youth: Implications for intervention design. Prevention Science, 17(7), 852-861.
D’Amico, E. J., Dickerson, D. L., Brown, R. A., Klein, D. J., Agniel, D., & Johnson, C. (2019). Unveiling an ‘invisible’ population: Health, substance use, sexual behavior, culture, and discrimination among urban American Indian/Alaska Native adolescents in California. Ethnicity and Health. [Epub ahead of print.] doi:10.1080/13557858.2018.1562054
D’Amico, E. J., Dickerson, D. L., Brown, R. A., Johnson, C., Agniel, D., & Klein, D. (2020). Motivational Interviewing and Culture for Urban Native American Youth (MICUNAY): A randomized controlled trial. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 111:86-99. doi: 10.1016/j.jsat.2019.12.011
Dickerson, D. L., Brown, R. A., Johnson, C. L., Schweigman, K., & D’Amico, E. J. (2015). Integrating motivational interviewing and traditional practices to address alcohol and drug use among urban American Indian/Alaska Native youth. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 65, 26-35.
D’Amico, E.J., Feldstein Ewing, S.W., Engle, B., Hunter, S.B., Osilla, K.C., & Bryan, A. (2010). Group alcohol and drug treatment. In S. Naar-King and M. Suarez (Eds.) Motivational interviewing with adolescents and young adults. New York, NY: The Guilford Press, 151-157.
D’Amico, E. J., & Feldstein Ewing, S. W. (2018). Group based interventions for youth. In P. M. Monti, S. M. Colby & T. O. L. Tevyaw (Eds.), Brief interventions for adolescent alcohol and substance abuse (pp. 354-379). New York, NY: Guilford Press.
Tim Stowe, Ed.D.
Deputy Superintendent, Administrative Services
Torrance Unified School District